Thursday, November 13, 2008

THANK YOU VETERANS

This is two days late I know. I was just reflecting on some things I talked about with a co-worker who is retired Army and was part of The Old Guard. We spoke about Arlington National Cemetery and the significance and the immensity of it. I have yet to visit the Cemetery, partly because the sadness I feel of the price paid by so many brave people. I need to go pay my respects, it is the least I can do.

Their sacrifice was great so that you and I can go about our day as we do now. My opinion is that we can best honor those who serve, have served, fight and have died for our country by doing several things. Try to always live with a passion to live better, not in a material way but a moral way. Try to live a life that is honorable to someone who laid down theirs for ours. Try to remember everything we have is because of someone else’s sacrifice weather it was Jesus, our Lord and savior or the brave men and women of our armed forces.

While working for my father-in-laws computer company I was privileged enough to design and developed the applications that run on the World War II and Korean War Memorial kiosk in Washing D.C. While working on the applications I began reading the names and stories of these brave Americans. I would think about the sacrifice and the families and how hard it must have been for them. I had been married for 2 or three years at that point and was a parent of two children. I started thinking about how it would be for my family if I or one of my children were one of those solders. Sometimes it was a bit overwhelming to think about while trying to work on something so important. I am so proud to have worked on something to help honor those who gave all.

Finally, I come from a family of United States Marines. So to my grandfathers, my father, father-in-law, my Aunt, and my little brother. I am immensely proud of your service and I thank you for your service. I want to thank all my friends who have served and who are still serving, may God bless all of you.


"Greater love has no one than this, that one lay down his life for his friends" (John 15:13).

No comments: